Friday 13 December 2019 - Director LUIGI CARICATO - staff@olioofficina.net

log in - register - advertising - donate

knowledge > economy

Australia, imports olive oil and table olives

Australia's imports of olive oil and olive-pomace oil increased by 7% in the 2017/18 crop year. Spain and Italy are main suppliers: accounting for 89.9% of the total...

International Olive Council

Australia, imports olive oil and table olives

Australia has a total area of 7 741 220 km2, an estimated 35 000 of which has been devoted to olive growing. The Gross Added Value of agriculture represents 2.52% of GDP. The population stands at 24 450 561 people, 10.35% of which live in rural areas. Life expectancy is 82.5 years and the number of children per woman is 1.76.

Olive oil and olive-pomace oil

Australia's imports of olive oil and olive-pomace oil increased by 7% in the 2017/18 crop year. Some 31 699 t were imported, an increase of 10.2% if we compare with the 2012/13 crop year, which saw imports of 28 762 t. Table I shows changes in imports over the last 6 crop years: the minimum was reached in the 2014/2015 crop year, coinciding with the year with the lowest gross national income per capita (2015). On the other hand, Spain and Italy are Australia's main suppliers, accounting for 89.9% of the total, followed by Greece with 4.4% and the rest of the countries with less than 2%. The largest increases in the 2017/18 crop year oc-curred in Lebanon and Spain (47.7% and 12.7%, respectively) compared to the previous crop year. In sectionI.1 of this publication you can follow the monthly movements of this market.

By origin of imports, 94.6% of the total came from the European Union. The remaining 5.4% comes mainly from Turkey 1.9%, Lebanon 1.4% and Tunisia 1.1%.
As for volumes by product category, 51.3% of total imports were under code 15.09.10 (virgin olive oils), fol-lowed by imports corresponding to code 15.09.90 (olive oils) with 47.3% and the remaining 1.4% correspon-ding to imports under code 15.10.00 (olive-pomace oils).

Trends in imports of virgin olive oils and olive oils have changed since the 2014/2015 crop year. Imports of vir-gin olive oils increased by 27.5% if we compare the 2017/2018 crop year with the 2007/2008 crop year, when they represented 46% of total imports.

Table olives

Australian has imported around 17 000 t of table olives in the last 11 crop years, reaching 17 259.9 t in the 2017/18 crop year (September 2017 - August 2018), or 2.7% of world imports.

Table II shows the imports of the last crop year by country of origin. Greece stands out as the main supplierto Australia, with 60.2% of the imported volume (10 385.1 t), followed by Spain with 22.4% (3 860.8 t) and Turkey with 4.5% (770.3 t). The rest of the countries are below 3%. In section I.2 of this publication you canfollow the monthly movements of this market.

International Olive Council - 10-11-2019 - All rights reserved

Luigi Caricato
EDITORIAL

LUIGI CARICATO

DIXIT
TASTE
Antico Borgo, the scent and flavours of the Frantoio, Moraiolo and Leccino trine

Antico Borgo, the scent and flavours of the Frantoio, Moraiolo and Leccino trine

A Tuscan PGI oil made by Terre dell’Etruria, a farming cooperative society that has invested all it has on its members, expertly helping and guiding them towards quality and success. The most impressive features of this extra virgin oil, flavour apart, are its remarkable quality/price ratio and extraordinary yield > Luigi Caricato

COOKING
Ravioli with Garda extra virgin olive oil stuffing and black olive charcoals

Ravioli with Garda extra virgin olive oil stuffing and black olive charcoals

Extra Virgin Garda DOP olive oil’s distinctive traits are its naturally delicate flavor and its elegance. At the taste it can be recognized for harmony or its organoleptic notes and for the light and balanced aromas: the scents of fresh grass, aromatic herbs, hay and artichoke, together with the typical almond aftertaste, make it unique. Recipe by chef Carlo Bresciani

WEB
Olio Turri's blog, a happy exception

Olio Turri's blog, a happy exception

Very few oil producers run blogs. Turri's, with its minimalistic design, is both simple and elegant. It is also available in English: posts are published at regular intervals and dispatched through newsletters > Luigi Caricato

OO VIDEO

The art of healthy eating

The fruit of tradition, care and a passion for quality. Our story starts here, in Puglia. The beating heart of the Mediterranean Sea. This is the birthplace of our oil-making art, an art that has always considered olives as a living body. Video Spot Corporate by Masseria di Sant'Eramo